Monday 23 September 2013

Roman Relics Part 1: Gladiatorial scrawls

If you are a reader of my blog that is unyielding in terms of what 'early modern' means, then I'm afraid that you will have to excuse the content of the next few blog posts! Before I get back into my normal early-modern-themed posts, we are taking a brief trip back to around 50-80AD...

As some of you may know, I recently went on holiday to Italy: Rome and Sorrento to be precise. Now, apart from eating my own body weight in pasta, pizza, and gelato, I did actually manage to fit in a fair bit of sight-seeing. First on the list was the Rome's Colosseum. 

Rather than bore you with the standard photos of its exterior and interior (which are, nonetheless, absolutely stunning!), I wanted to share with you a little collection of photos that I took of some sections of marble that have been removed from the walls of the Colosseum's 'corridors' - for want of a better word - and have been placed as part of the exhibition that sits on the upper floors.

I really can't get these images out of my head. They are something that at once struck me as unmistakably antiquarian (they are, after all, accompanied by a card telling you the likely date that they were engraved), but also incredibly modern. Engravings and scrawlings in stone, wood, even modern school tables, are surely as common now as they were around 80AD.

A gladiator, with armour, spear and shield

A big cat used in gladiatorial competitions

Two gladiators fighting. Both wearing armour, with the left-hand gladiator holding a shield, and the right-hand gladiator brandishing a sword

Gladiator with wonderfully detailed armour on his lower body, carrying a spear

 © Jenna Townend 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment