Monday 2 September 2013

Beautiful Bibles

Happy September everybody! Am I the only one who doesn't know where that summer went?

About a week ago on Twitter, I stumbled across a link to MS 19; a sumptuously illustrated Bible from the 14th century that was given to the University of Edinburgh in 1680. The entire manuscript is digitized, and can be found here: http://images.is.ed.ac.uk/luna/servlet/view/search/what/Ms%2019?q=bible%20historial

It really is an absolutely beautiful thing. The craftsmanship of medieval texts such as this never fails to astound me, so I just had to share three of my favourite images with you all! I have cropped the original facsimiles so that you can really see the incredible detail of the illustrations.

f.5v

f.89v

f.145v
I am going to be away for a couple of weeks now on holiday, so won't be able to do much other than tweet about any beautiful early modern things that I stumble across in Rome (my Twitter is @MyEMWorld in case you aren't already following). I do, however, have another couple of posts planned for when I return, one of which will be a write-up of the EEBO-TCP conference that I will be attending at Oxford University in two weeks' time!

© Jenna Townend 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment