Sunday 9 November 2014

'Absence extinguishes the minor passions and increases the great ones': We're back!

After what seems like an age, I am pleased to announce that the little corner of the internet that is 'My Early-Modern World' is back up and running! Cue some seventeenth-century merriment:




So, where have I been since the last post back in February (*hangs head in shame*)? Truthfully, I haven't really been anywhere, largely due to the whirlwind of fun and stress that was my MA year! Unfortunately, after that last post in February, I decided that it was easier to take some time off from the blog so that I could focus my attention solely on my MA work and other commitments (alongside the fact that much of the work I was doing didn't really lend itself to blogging!). This level of focus did have its drawbacks, though, but I will be saying more on that in an upcoming post that I hope will highlight some of the struggles that PGT and PGR students face during their research and studies.

Anyway, I am pleased to announce that one of the very exciting products from these last few months has been my offer to start my Ph.D in my beloved Department of English and Drama at Loughborough University! As you will see from a forthcoming post, I am only really starting to now get underway, but I cannot tell you how excited I am by the prospect of everything to come over the next few years. Another plus point of my entry into PGR study is also that, by its very nature, I will be finding far more little snippets of seventeenth-century literature and culture to share with you all: huzzah!

So, there is my little explanation as to where I have been over the last 6 months or so, and I look forward to sharing all the goings-on of my Ph.D in due course!

Just in case any of you don't know, you can also follow the blog on Twitter: @MyEMWorld.

(The quotation from the title of this post is from Francois de la Rochefoucauld's Reflections: or, Sentences and Moral Maxims: 'L'absence diminue les médiocres passions, et augmente les grandes, comme le vent éteint les bougies et allume le feu' (Maxim 276)).


No comments:

Post a Comment